Sunday, March 11, 2012

Forgive Me for my Drunkeness

     Though Purim is two days done, I still wanted to mention an interesting experience I had (and I'm not just talking about partying in Nachlaot). I had this incredible time dressing up and exploring the streets, seeing the religious communities I live in and often visit, in a more colourful light. I was happy to see happiness... something I often get drained from when only seeing black and white. But what made this Purim a truly inspiring event, turned out absent from my all my notebooks.

     After classes upon classes (from dissecting the Megillah to the halachot) and reading books on my own time (I loved The Miracles of Purim Part I and II by Rav Shlomo Brevda based off of commentary by the Vilna Goan), I was catching Rabbis and friends off guard with my new found knowledge. I felt great that in two weeks I had learned SO much about Purim I was teaching OTHER people. Not bad for a new Baalat teshuva. But, honestly, I was missing something. I didn't like how everything was so unilaterally focused on getting smashed, or conversely, the holiness of the day. I felt a disconnection between what I was learning and the festivities. I was told by some Rabbis that it had to be this holy, heightened and semi-normative experience OR by other Rabbis it was supposed to be this drunken chaotic mess. Either way, I was feeling a huge disconnect, and it was only growing the more I learned this day is supposed to be about Jewish unity. 

     And that's when Gd stepped in... and by Gd I mean that's when I serendipitously went to Rabbi Refson Jr.'s class, the last class before Purim break. Rabbi Refson sat down and started speaking about the spirituality of Purim. I was busy organizing my more... solid.... notes, while listing in on his passionate speech. Eventually, I focused my attention on his speech, as opposed to fiddling with my notes, because what he was saying to me started to seep in and resonate. 

     The sun fell, and Purim came in. I dutifully went to hear the entire Megillah, from first word to last, in all of its entirety, like I was taught. Instead of being tested on the ideas, Hebrew, and halcaha that I knew, I was tested in a much more interesting way. Ten minutes into this reading I was getting overwhelmed. I stifled a surprising swell of emotion and tears and had to stand up and pace in the back of the room. I often say the hardest thing about becoming religious is not being able to take back so many of the things I have seen or done. But more specific than that, it is the deep ball of regret that weighs you down. It is in the pit of your stomach, tearing at your insides. Even all the Yom Kippurim in the world can't lighten or relieve this feeling. That's why, when I heard the Megillah, I had to hold back this flood gate of tears. 

     Rabbi Refson had said that Purim is one of the holiest days of the year. In fact, after the Moshiach comes, the only two holidays that will be celebrated are Yom Kippur and Purim. I understand Yom Kippur, our day of repentance, but why Purim? Purim is the day when Hashem looks at us and says he accepts our prayers and loves us no matter how much we screw up (like the intermarrying and idol worship that took place during the time of the Purim story). Gd loves us and wants us to enjoy the world He has created and will save us when we seem unredeemable. So, while listening to our story, I realized even when I mess up pretty badly, and feel like all the Yom Kippurim in the world can't and won't fix my mistakes, I still have Purim to realize Hashem will always love me and THAT made my mistakes and regret a lighter load to carry. 

3 comments:

  1. The Chazon Ish’s Lesson to Rav Shlomo Brevda Shlit”a

    Rav Shlomo Brevda Shlita recalled the following miracle that happened to him in Yerushalayim when he was a young man while he was learning in Brisk in Yerushalayim:
    One night, he decided to run to a relative’s house. While he was approaching the house there was a sudden blackout, which made the street turn pitch black…
    He suddenly remembered…..that right next to the relative’s house was a very long steep and slippery staircase built into the street, which one had to navigate very carefully in order to avoid slipping and falling down its sharp and circuitous route.
    Stopping immediately to get his bearings, he tried to locate the staircase in the darkness, when he was absolutely stunned to find that the stairs where at the edge of his right foot, and had he continued running for just a fraction of a second more, he would have certainly been seriously injured C”V.
    He was hoping that the next morning he will Daven and thank Hashem with his full heart, better then ever, after his life was saved by the split of the second, but Davening Scharis was just like any ordinary day, it bothered him tremendously.
    So Rav Brevda traveled to Bnai Brak to discus this matter with the Chazon Ish zt”l (it took 4 hours each way) He related the miracle to the Chazon Ish. Rav Brevda asked the Chazon Ish, “Why is it that I do not feel any different and closer to Hashem Yisboruch since I woke up today, than when I woke up yesterday or any other day of my life? I was privileged to have an open miracle happen to me, yet I do not feel like I am on my way to serving Hashem any better today then yesterday! Or the day before? How can this be?
    The Chazon Ish paused and thought for a few moments looking down, slightly lowering his head, and said to himself more than to Rev Brevda, “We see and we see and we still do not change” Hashem created two Yatzer Horas One is the ordinary one that we all know about, the second one is a special Yetzer Hara called “The Yetzer Hara After an Open Miracle” that tries to weaken a person when he is stirred to serve Hashem after experiencing a miracle!!!

    Now that Rav Brevda Shlita is in dire need of our Tefilos and learning Torah for a Zechus to survive his medical condition we all have to pitch in and ask Hashem to have mercy on “us” to help the Rav to get well and lead us towards Moshiach in the very very near future BS”D

    Yidden all over the world are asked to recite Tehillim and learn Torah for famous Magid of the generation Harav Shlomo Brevda Shlita, who is in need of a refuah sheleimah. He has been hospitalized at a medical center in Manhattan.

    Rav Brevda is one of the most well-known maggidei shiur and darshanim and has delivered thousands of drashos in Jewish communities worldwide.

    Rav Brevda is the author of numerous seforim, including volumes on Yomim Tovim. His writings on the Torah of the Vilna Gaon and the Gaon’s seforim in aggadah and Kabbolah are particularly well known.

    The name for Tehillim is Rav Shlomo Leibben Miriam.


    Please continue Davening for Shloma Leib ben Miryam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually heard this shir right before Purim. Thank you. I'll keep him in my teffilos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tzibbur is asked to Daven for Rav Shlomo Brevda, Shlita, who is suffering from a serious illness and needs our Tefillos. Saying Tehillim daily in his Zechus for the Refuah Shelaima of "Rav Shlomo Leib Ben Miriam" would be greatly appreciated.

    Rav Brevda requested that we increase the intensity of our Tefillos during Dovening and say Tehillim (day and/or night) whenever the opportunity arises. He feels in very dire straights. Please request that a Misheberech to be said for the Rav during Shabbos Kryias HaTorah. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete